Income Assistance Application (Welfare-Income Support)

Income assistance is the result of a program created by the Canadian government to economically support low-income individuals.  Within the framework of this program, individuals with insufficient income receive regular monthly payments.  Although the amount of this payment varies depending on the individual and the city in which one lives, it is generally calculated to be sufficient for the monthly basic expenses.  The main purpose of this program is to eliminate the need for this support by finding a job as soon as possible for individuals who need income support in this way.

In order to apply for income assistance, it is necessary to obtain the necessary documents first.  These documents are:

* Your identity document – You must use your Asylum Application ID as your ID until you pass your court.

* Documentation of your bank account – You will need the bank statement and account details for the new account you will open in a Canadian bank.

* Document showing your address – An official document showing your address is required.  This document can be an invoice.

* Your rental agreement – If you have a rental agreement, or if you are staying in a dormitory or of a similar environment, a document showing the fee you paid.

* Other forms to request – These forms may vary depending on cities and regions.  Basically, you are expected to fill out forms documenting your need for this help.

For the application, an appointment is requested for a mutual interview by phone or in person.  On the day of the appointment, if you have a request for an interpreter, you must notify it at the first call.  If you do not request an interpreter, you can also go with a friend who will help you with this.

During the application interview, the caseworker will personally meet with you. They evaluate whether you are entitled to income assistance by looking at the forms and documents you fill out (listed above). If you have other requests and needs in this regard, you can notify them immediately at the first appointment, or you can notify them later by contacting the same caseworker.  For example, if you are signing a lease and need help with a deposit. If you report this, the caseworker can assess your situation and decide whether to give you extra help. It tells you about other free or low-cost opportunities you can take advantage of. It directs you to the most appropriate institutions and organizations according to the needs you specify.  For example, the caseworker first gives you the information about many sports, arts, and similar events and courses in every neighborhood that you can benefit from at low cost or free of charge and directs you to the relevant places.

In addition, the caseworker will aim to monitor your financial situation and ensure that you get out of this program as soon as possible and become an individual standing on your own feet. Therefore, if there is a change in your financial situation, you should notify your caseworker. Again, in case of any extra need, you can report this and request assistance. The discretion is entirely within the caseworkers. In addition, they try to help you find a job as soon as possible in order to regain your financial independence, which is their main goal.  For this, if your English level is not sufficient, they will direct you to language courses to learn a certain level of English first. If your language level is sufficient, they will direct you to employment agencies, make an appointment on your behalf, and want to know what steps you have followed in finding a job.

Shortly after making the first meeting with the caseworker, the monthly amount deemed appropriate for you is deposited into your bank account. And as long as your situation does not change, this amount will be paid to you regularly. In some cities, you must notify the caseworker every month that your economic situation has not changed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.